We endeavour to equip all of our students with the skills that they will need to be successful in the ever changing world of the 21st Century. Independence, a desire to learn plus the ability to read with understanding and empathy, write with accuracy and express themselves orally are our key foci. The English team aim to plan and deliver engaging, challenging and personalised lessons, alongside providing regular and rigorous Feedback to support and motivate our students to achieve their challenging targets.
Programmes of Study
Key Stage 3
Our students will:
- Develop an appreciation and love of reading
- Read a wide range of fiction and non – fiction texts
- Independently choose and read fiction and non – fiction for pleasure
- Understand the impact of audience and purpose
- Read critically and be able to give a personal opinion on what has been read
- Be able to make comparisons between texts
- Be able to give predictions and speculate
Our students will:
- Write accurately, fluently, effectively and at length
- Write for a wide range of purposes and audiences
- Summarise and organise materials
- Extend their range of vocabulary, punctuation, grammatical and literary devices
- Plan, draft, edit and proof read
Speaking and Listening:
Our students will:
- Speak confidently and effectively
- Use Standard English
- Adapt talk to a variety of formal and informal situations, including discussion, debate and presenting
Access our Programmes of Study for each year group below:
English Programmes of Study 2017-18
Year 7 Programme of Study Updated: 06/07/2017 (78 KB)
Year 8 Programme of Study Updated: 06/07/2017 (78 KB)
Year 9 Programme of Study Updated: 06/07/2017 (78 KB)
Year 10 Programme of Study Updated: 06/07/2017 (99 KB)
Year 11 Programme of Study Updated: 06/07/2017 (87 KB)
Digital Theatre Plus
Students will be given login details to access the Digital Theatre Plus website.
This is a fantastic resource, with instant access to hundreds of plays and performances
Accelerated Reader Programe
To access the login page for the accelerated reader program please follow this link
We expect our students to play an active role in their learning by arriving to lessons promptly, with the correct equipment and a desire to achieve the challenging targets that are set for all. Lessons are planned to ensure that our students are given the opportunity to explore topics independently, in pairs and groups, supporting each other in their learning journey. We encourage students to take responsibility under the guidance of our dedicated and enthusiastic team of English specialists. Comments from students regarding their English studies are welcomed and in conjunction with a careful choice of topics and texts, the team works hard to convey their enthusiasm and love for all aspects of English Language and Literature. The English department are committed to the ‘Learning Outside the Classroom’ agenda and offer a wide variety of opportunities for pupils to engage in their learning through the use of innovation and technology. The department regularly uses facilities such as the TV Studio, 4D space and the surrounding school grounds. Homework is an important aspect of our support and encouragement of the students’ learning and takes many forms: research; reading; drafting; planning; reviewing.
Marking and Assessment
Please access the link to our current Assessment Policy.
All students will study the Eduqas GCSE English Language and English Literature exam specification.
Mr D Banks - Curriculum Leader for English
Miss L Cathey - Joint Assistant Curriculum Leader for English
Mrs K Kellet - Joint Assistant Curriculum Leader for English (Lead Practitioner)
Mrs G Aspinall - Assistant Headteacher
Miss V Bond - Teacher of English (Lead Practitioner)
Mr A Cunningham - Teacher of English
Miss A Duffell - Teacher of English
Miss L Law - Teacher of English
Mr D Llevo - Teacher of English
Mr J Melling - Teacher of English
Miss S Patel - Teacher of English
Miss L Pilkington - Assistant Headteacher
Miss E Rose - Teacher of English
- Book Buzz
- Book Clubs KS3 and KS4
- Theatre trips
- Writing Club
How parents can support their children
- Our English Blog will have useful help and support for both students and parents in KS3 and KS4.
- For reading support please access the link to our “Supporting Reading” document.
- Access Google Classroom for up to date homework information.
- For KS4 revision materials access BBC Bitesize and our English Shared Documents on Google Drive.
- Feel free to contact your child’s English teacher to discuss concerns or to access further guidance.
GCSE Revision videos are also located on GCSE Pod. Your child will have a password and access to this.